FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.13
– Technology stocks lead ASX to reach a record high of 7312.3 points – Bitcoin bounces back from its lowest price since May – Meat and food processing giant JBS Australia rights a $175m deal to purchase Rivalea Australia – Top performers of the market for this week are Materials and IT, followed by Energy and Health Care sectors – Australia’s AAA credit outlook from changes from negative to neutral, reflecting Australia’s strong economic recovery credited to massive fiscal and monetary stimulus.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.12
• Australia’s economy’s exceeds expectations, at 0.8% larger than its previous peak pre-COVID. • The resources sector demonstrates immunity to economic challenges faced by other sectors, contributing to Australia’s trade surplus of more than $8b. • Bitcoin has taken a fall after Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s comments on Twitter suggesting he has “fallen out of love” with the world’s top cryptocurrency. • US e-commerce site Etsy has acquired popular peer-to-peer social shopping app Depop for A$2.1b.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.11
– Credit Suisse raises $2.6b to manage the collapse of Archegos Capital Management which lead to ~$6b in losses.- The ASX 200 comes out with a 0.08% gain after a substantial mid-week dip.- Joe Biden called for an increased capital gains tax rate for investors earning >US$1mil.- Lithium miners Orocobre Limited and Galaxy Resources Limited have agreed to merge with a combined value of $4 billion to attract global institutional attention.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.10
– Citigroup has decided to discontinue its Australian consumer banking products, ending a 36 year run to focus on its investment banking services in Australia. – The ABS has reported a drop in unemployment rate of 0.2%, down to 5.6% since February . – The ASX 200 continues to rise, ending on a 13-month high of 7063.5.- International: Coca-Cola Amatil shareholders voted in favor of a $9.8 billion acquisition offer from Coca Cola European Partners. – This week’s company spotlight studies how Crown Resorts Limited has navigated its way throughout regulatory controversies and restrictions amidst the pandemic.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.09
– Major Facebook data leak exposes the personal data of over 500 million users.- Chinese regulators fines Alibaba $3.7b for violating competition laws. – ASX200 rises to a 12 month high.- This week’s company spotlight details the share price performance of Woolworths Group.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.08
– The Australian housing market is experiencing it’s largest monthly price surge in 32 years- The Ever Given cargo ship was finally freed from the Suez Canal; it was estimated to have held up $9.6billion worth of trade- US President Joe Biden has proposed a $2.3 trillion economic stimulus package- Deloitte has acquired financial services firm Rice Warner for one-times current revenue- This week’s company spotlight examines furniture retailer Adairs Limited
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.07
– The JobKeeper wage subsidy ($93 billion) has ended today on 28th March – The RBA is pushing for an unemployment rate of 3-4% in order for wages growth to increase and inflation to return to the 2-3% target. – Blackstone has offered a takeover bid to acquire Crown Resorts at $11.85 per share. – International: There are talks of a potential acquisition of Discord by Microsoft for more than $10 billion USD – This week’s company spotlight examines Fortescue Metals Group Limited and its expansion throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.06
– The government has announced to invest an additional $1.1 billion to extend Australia’s covid-19 health response- The RBA has raised concerns on house prices following the major cut in interest rates- Leaders of the US, Australia, India and Japan agreed to send 1 billion coronavirus vaccines to Asian and Pacific Island countries – This week’s company spotlight looks into AMP Limited and its performance over the last year- General Electric agreed to sell its jet-leasing business to rival AerCap Holdings
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.04
– Australia passes law that will require Facebook and Google to pay for news – First doses of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine has arrived in Australia- 20 million Covid vaccine doses have been administered in the UK- Private equity firm, L Catterton, is looking to acquire Birkenstock – This weeks company spotlight delves into Bega Cheese and its performance over the last 12 months.
FINSOC Weekly Wraps Vol.03
– JobKeeper scheme to conclude on the 28th March – 80,000 Pfizer vaccines on track to be rolled out this month in Australia – Crown casino unable to operate a casino license on its new Barangaroo location after Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority commissioned a report. – School banking programs such as CommBank’s Dollarmites to be phased out – Victoria’s stage 4 lockdowns cause sharemarket to suffer, especially the travel industry- This week’s company spotlight delves into Qantas and their stock performance over the last 12 months.